Alrighty- I am only about a month late getting started, but here it is... QUICKED COZY!
One of the first projects I wanted to complete was my very own "Create Space." I had not had the space for this in our previous house, and boy was I excited! Now, this is a work in progress and I am sure this space will morph over time, but it feels good to have gotten this far. THE GOAL: a organized, open space for mommy to create.
This is what I started with....
Outside of painting the walls gray (this will come in a future post) and buying a couple cabinets from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore (Love this place by the way), I basically threw everything I considered "crafty" or "office-y" in this space. Now, this next picture is not so much the WOW factor that I like, but I share it because it was just enough zen to get me started on this blog! I could not even focus when my create space was a disaster.
So here it is...
Like I said, not a super-shocking before and after, but just enough to free my creativity a bit, and get me started. I basically used every plastic organizer with drawers I already had, and made sure everything had its place: scrapbooking, painting, pictures, cards, office supplies, etc. Then after realizing that I would constantly need paper towels, it dawned on me to try and find an old paper towel holder and some spice racks and "spice" them up! After searching Craigslist and finding exactly what I was looking for - for a whopping $8- I added the spice with my favorite Rustoleum spray paints - I had some fun color to add to the walls. (they also coordinate perfectly with the decor in the rest of the basement, but we will get to that another day.This shelving project serves many great purposes:
- I can see what paint colors I have and what I may need
- I can access them easily
- It holds the paper towells
- It adds a pop of "color" to the walls
- BUT THE BONUS: My little chillens can no longer reach them!- YIPPEE!
Finally, I needed something to proclaim that this was a "Create Space." So while my sweet hubby hung the shelves securely for me... Side Note: If I would have hung them, I would have done it the easiest, quickest way possible- hence this blog's name...(you will learn that I am not very patient) and they would have fallen the first time I grabbed a paper towell!
I began scanning what I had that may complete the space. I noticed some little cork boards that I had gotten years ago in a package with some larger ones that I used for another project. There were just enough to spell what I needed. So, I started cutting out some scrapbook paper to state- CREATE. Finally, I attached the letters to the cork with clear push pins and hammered a small nail right through each cork board. VIOLA!
So project in short:
Spice racks: $8 on Craigslist
Spray Paint, 3 colors: approx. $12
Cork boards and letters: FREE
Total: $20
Ability to clear my mind enough to start blogging... ah, priceless!! ;)
So excited to begin this journey - hope you will join me!!

No comments:
Post a Comment